Ham, Mushrooms, Mozzarella, and Artichokes is a Capricciosa PizzaPrint
The Capricciosa Pizza consists of Ham, Mushrooms, Mozzarella, and Artichokes. Capricciosa Pizza is the most classic of Italian pizzas. It is present on all menus of pizzerias in Italy.
If you are adventurous in the kitchen, try making your own pizza sauce and pizza crust with some of these fabulous recipes!
- Prep Time: 60
- Cook Time: 12
- Total Time: 72
- 1 ball Pizza Dough
- 1/4 cup canned coarsely puréed tomatoes or Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 cup lightly packed coarsely shredded low-moisture mozzarella
- 2 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto cotto (Italian-style uncured ham) or freshly sliced uncured boiled ham, torn into large shreds
- 1/2 cup Sauteed Mushrooms
- 3 ounces drained marinated artichokes, sliced into thin wedges
- Make dough as instructed in recipe for Pizza Dough.
- Top pizza with tomato sauce, spreading outward in a widening circle with the back of a soupspoon. Then sprinkle on mozzarella, prosciutto, sautéed mushrooms, and artichokes.
- Place a pizza stone on a lower oven rack. Preheat the oven between 450 and 500 degrees F (250 to 260 degrees C) — the stone needs heat up while the oven heats. Large, thick-crusted pizzas might need an oven temperature closer to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) so the crust can cook completely before the toppings burn.
- After 5 minutes of baking, check the pizza. If some spots are browning faster than others, turn the pizza; slip the peel underneath it like a giant spatula. Rotate the pizza on the peel and return it to the baking stone using the same swift motion described above.
- If you like, remove the pizza from the oven halfway during baking to brush oil on the crust. This added oil will help darken the crust and make it even tastier. For a little garlic flavor, infuse the oil with minced garlic.
- The pizza is done when the cheese is melted to a medium-to-dark brown — color means flavor. Carefully remove the pizza with the peel and let it cool slightly. If you want, top it with additional fresh toppings. Slice with a pizza wheel or chef’s knife, and serve to your adoring crowd.
- Serving Size: 4