Homemade Hunan Chicken is spicy flavored and seriously much better than any takeout!! This quick chicken dish, like most Hunan cuisine, is spiked with a spicy fresh chili peppers, often along with the seeds and membranes which contain most of the heat, feel free to remove if you don’t care for spicy so much. This dish cooks super quick in a hot wok and just comes out perfect!!
Hunan Chicken is a very tasty and spicy stir-fry of chicken, garlic, ginger and vegetables in an authentic spicy flavored Chinese Hunan Sauce. This recipe is super easy to make and ready in about 30 minutes. It is filled with healthy protein and vegetables that make this savory dish really nutritious, flavorful, and very colorful! This recipe is perfect for meal planning, as it freezes very well.
This is a classic Chinese stir-fry with ginger and garlic that will please everyone. I love making it with chicken breast, as the meat comes out juicy and tender. The meat is cooked together with vegetables in a deliciously spicy and savory sauce. If you love spicy flavored food, this is a recipe you have to try.Print
Hunan chicken, like most Hunan cuisine is spiked with a spicy mixture, including fresh chili peppers, often along with the seeds and membranes which contain most of the heat.
- Prep Time: :10
- Cook Time: :25
- Total Time: :35
- Half of a chicken
- 2 fresh long green peppers
- 2 fresh long red peppers
- 1/2 cup broccoli
- 1/2 cup baby corn
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 inch root ginger, sliced
- 1 spring onion, white part sliced and green part chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 dried pepper, cut into small sections or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon whole Sichuan peppercorn (optional) or as needed (If vegetables are added, reduce the amount please)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar or as needed (adjust according to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- Several drops of sesame oil
- Some roasted sesame seeds for decoration
- Wash the chicken in running water and then rinse in boiling water for around 2 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken out and then get some fresh and clean water in a pot (just cover the chicken); bring all the content to a boiling and continue cooking for 8 minutes (the chicken should be 80% cooked).
- Transfer the chicken out, cool down and cut into small chunks. Cut the broccoli and fresh peppers into small pieces. Mix the cornstarch with water to make the water starch.
- Heat up cooking oil in wok; add dried red pepper sections, Sichuan peppercorns whole seeds to stir-fry for around 1 minute. And then add garlic, ginger and white part of spring onion to stir-fry until aroma.
- Add chicken chunks and vegetables in. Pour in cooking wine, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce. Mix well.
- Add around 1 cup of chicken stock in wok and simmer the chicken for around 3 minutes.
- Pour the water starch and several drops of sesame oil in. Mix well and garnish some chopped spring onion and roasted sesame seed before serving.
- Serving Size: 2