Indonesian Garlic Fried Chicken is marinated then fried golden brown. Garnish with some sesame seeds and sliced green onion for a little crunch and color and serve this classic over rice.
This full-of-flavor garlic chicken makes not only an awesome quick & easy weeknight dinner but is also a really great party food! Whether you are having guests over for the big game, or you are headed to someone else’s party and you need to bring something along with you to contribute, this is it. It doesn’t even matter what kind of party it is either!
One of my favorite things about this dish is its versatility.
Indonesian Garlic Fried Chicken is the most delicious – crispy and toffee-brown on the outside, sweet and succulent on the inside – thanks to its unusual pre-frying marinade of garlic and palm vinegar. Serve this with some crispy Ragoons, Soybean Sprout Soup or some crunchy Mushroom Spring Rolls.
Love Garlic? So do I! Is there anything better than the scent of a few garlic cloves cooking away on the stovetop? Here are many scrumptious garlic recipes. From garlic butter to chicken, pasta and potato recipes, garlic lovers will definitely want to get their hands on these dishes!
Read more about 14 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Garlic
Indonesian Garlic Chicken
Indonesian Garlic Chicken is the most delicious – crispy and toffee-brown on the outside, sweet and succulent on the inside – thanks to its unusual pre-frying marinade of garlic and palm vinegar.
- Prep Time: 1:30
- Cook Time: :25
- Total Time: 1:55
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: Indonesian
- 1 whole chicken (2–3.5 lbs) cut into 10 pieces or 2 lbs chicken wings, thighs and/or drumsticks
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 cup palm cider or rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Rinse the chicken under cold water, drain well and pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic, vinegar and salt. Add the chicken and combine well. Cover with saran wrap and leave to marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours, stirring once or twice to ensure the marinade coats every piece.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and pat them thoroughly dry with a paper towel, gently squeezing each piece to remove excess liquid. Set aside.
- Add oil to a depth of 1″ in a large frying pan and place over a medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Gently slide as many of the chicken pieces into the oil as will fit without touching (you’ll probably need to fry the chicken in two batches). After about 10 minutes, when the chicken has turned deep golden brown and crispy, turn it over and continue to fry – it should take 20-25 minutes in total. Test by poking a fork into the thickest portion and pressing down on it – the juices should run clear, not pink.
- Remove the chicken pieces and let them drain on a wire rack or paper towels for a few minutes before transferring to a serving platter. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Indonesian Garlic Fried Chicken