Quinoa With Shiitakes – An easy, healthy side dish that you’ll want to make with every single meal!Print
Quinoa With Shiitakes
Quinoa With Shiitakes makes an excellent side dish for any protein. Quinoa keeps you energized thanks to a hearty helping of iron, magnesium, and fiber. An easy, healthy side dish that you’ll want to make with every single meal! Now instead of just serving up a boring old bowl of quinoa, I decided to have a little bit of fun with it and add in one of my all-time favorite veggies = mushrooms. Not only do they have an amazing distinct flavor but they also add a range of nutritional and health benefits right into your meal!
Check out these Tasty Quinoa Recipes to perfectly cook quinoa for every occasion. Healthy supergrains never tasted so good!
Read more about 27 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Quinoa
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 50
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 4 ounces snow peas, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1/4 cup large broken pecan pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 scallion, white and green, sliced
- Place the quinoa and 2 cups water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir once, cover and reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand 5 minutes, uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the snow peas and pecans, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until bright green but still crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Combine the cooked quinoa, mushroom mixture, soy sauce, scallions and remaining 2 teaspoons sesame oil in a medium bowl. Toss gently to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 4