Root Beer Baked Beans are pretty much a great staple side dish for a lot of meals in the summer. I thought I’d mess around with my usual recipe and add more of a variety of flavors. This dish is super filling and you could even add cooked ground beef to this and make it a complete meal. The root beer flavor can’t really be tasted in these beans, but it adds a nice little sweetness and flavor in the background of the dish.
Also, I should warn you that this recipes is kind of semi-homemade. I mean, it’s definitely semi-homemade. Not kind of. But they are so easy! That being said, you can use whatever can of baked beans you can find. Great for barbecues and potlucks. Root beer adds a hint of sweet flavor to these baked beans.
Look at the color of these beans, the beans are great for a summer get together, but I also think the beans are great for fall too. For the best flavor, use an artisanal root beer made with cane sugar (not corn syrup). We like Faygo and Fitz’s, but many more options are available online at sodapopstop.com.
Not what you are looking for? Try these other great recipes:Print
Root Beer Baked Beans
- Prep Time: :15
- Cook Time: :50
- Total Time: 1:05
- Yield: 6-8 Servings
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top and Oven
- Cuisine: BBQ
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Set a medium oven-safe pot over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook, stirring, until most of the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, about 8 minutes; remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon to drain.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger to the drippings in the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until the color deepens, about 1 more minute. Add the root beer, vinegar, molasses, mustard, red pepper flakes and garam masala to the pot. Stir, then bring to a boil. Add the beans and three-quarters of the bacon and gently stir so the beans don’t lose their shape.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the oven and bake, uncovered, until thick, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly, then top with the remaining bacon.
Keywords: Root Beer Baked Beans