How to Make the Perfect Sesame Orange Shrimp
Are you looking to make the perfect Sesame Orange Shrimp? Look no further! This delicious and easy-to-make dish is made with marinated shrimp that is quickly fried and then glazed in a zesty orange sauce. The combination of the sesame and orange flavors create a scrumptious dish that will be sure to please your taste buds. Keep reading to learn how to make this delicious Orange Shrimp! Also, check out PrimeWater Seafood for shrimp that is SUSTAINABLY RAISED & TRACEABLE.
This dish of Orange Shrimp can be traced back to the ancient Chinese cuisine. The sweet and sour sauce, which is what really makes this dish shine, has been a staple in Chinese cooking for centuries. The combination of sweet and sour with the nutty and citrusy flavors from the sesame and oranges truly create a unique flavor that is both flavorful and satisfying.
Once the shrimp is battered, it is then flash-fried in a hot pan to give it a nice golden crisp texture on the outside. Once the shrimp are fried, they are then glazed with a sauce that is made up of fresh orange juice, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame seeds. The sesame adds a nice nutty flavor to the glaze and gives it a wonderful glossy finish. After the glaze is added to the shrimp, it’s cooked for just a few minutes more until it’s fully coated and caramelized.
The result is an incredibly flavorful and fragrant dish that is sure to impress the pickiest eaters. Serve this Sesame Orange Shrimp with a side of steamed rice or your favorite vegetables for a complete meal. Enjoy!Print
Sesame Orange Shrimp
A very tasty and super easy Sesame Orange Shrimp recipe. Serve with rice for a perfect meal.
- Prep Time: :25
- Cook Time: :10
- Total Time: :35
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Asian
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, cornstarch, sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until frothy. Add shrimp, and toss to coat.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in two or three batches, cook shrimp until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Add more oil to skillet if necessary for remaining batches.
- Wipe skillet with a paper towel. Add orange juice, soy sauce, and sugar. Boil over high heat until syrupy and reduced to about 1/3 cup, 4 to 5 minutes. Return shrimp to skillet; add scallions, and cook until heated through and coated with sauce, about 1 minute.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Sesame Orange Shrimp