Asparagus Soup with Bacon and Parmesan Cheese is super yummy. When spring arrives and asparagus are in season, they are hard to resist, right? Those green little soldiers salute us as we enter the produce section of the supermarket, challenging us to make good use of them while we can!
Yes, eating asparagus does make your pee smell. But once you’re past that, there are plenty of reasons to fill your plate with more of this spring superfood. The bright-green veggie is packed with good-for-you vitamins and minerals like vitamins A, C, E, K, and B6, as well as folate, iron, copper, calcium, protein, and fiber. Thanks to all these nutrients, asparagus offers some serious health perks. Read More at Health.com.
Not what your are looking for? Asparagus is such a versatile vegetable, check out more Asparagus Recipes.
Cream of asparagus soup is a soup prepared with asparagus, stock and milk or cream as primary ingredients. Ingredient variations exist. Cream of asparagus soup may be served hot or cold, and the soup may be finished with various garnishes such as chives, crème fraîche and sour cream. WikipediaPrint
Asparagus Soup with Bacon and Parmesan Cheese
Asparagus Soup with Bacon and Parmesan Cheese is super yummy.
- Prep Time: :10
- Cook Time: 1:00
- Total Time: 1:10
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- 2 lb Asparagus
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 cups Diced Yellow Onions
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 6 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 4 Bacon Slices, cooked
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 4 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
- Cut off the tips of the asparagus spears and chop the stalk into ½” pieces. Keep the tips to use in another recipe or to dress up the bowl when serving.
- Add the butter to a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Remove the peel from the garlic cloves and smash with a heavy knife. Add the smashed garlic to the pot along with the chopped onions. Cook for about 7-8 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add the chopped asparagus, chicken broth, chili powder, ground thyme, bacon slices, salt and black pepper to the pot and bring to a rapid boil. Cover the pot, turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 30 minutes until all the vegetables are soft and tender.
- Use an immersion blender or blender to puree until completely smooth.
- OPTIONAL- pass the pureed soup through a fine sieve to remove the fibers if you prefer.
- Transfer the soup back to the stockpot and bring back to a simmer.
- Add the lemon juice and grated Parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
- Taste the soup and add additional salt, pepper, cheese or lemon juice if desired!
- Divide the soup into 4 bowls and top with the asparagus tips or grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Asparagus Soup