Chicken Taquitos might not be the most authentic Mexican-inspired dish out there, but with this recipe, they just might be the most tasty AND convenient! Chicken Taquitos are rolled in corn tortillas and fried until golden. Top with freshly made salsa, a dollop of sour cream and sprinkled with crumbled cheese. Serve these crispy tacos with homemade Classic Mexican Guacamole and Garden Fresh Salsa.
There are so many things to love about chicken taquitos, but the fact that they’re popular with all ages, can be made ahead or even frozen, and are ready in 45 minutes is all the convincing I need to make these regularly!
To make ahead: Make the filling up to 1 day in advance and store in the refrigerator. Roll in tortillas before baking.
To freeze: Taquitos make a great freezer meal. Make the filling as instructed and roll up in tortillas. Place in a freezer ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Remove from freezer and place them on a lined or greased baking sheet. Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until warmed through and crisp on the outside.Print
Chicken Taquitos are rolled in corn tortillas and fried until golden. Top with freshly made salsa, a dollop of sour cream and sprinkled with crumbled cheese.
- Prep Time: :40
- Cook Time: :15
- Total Time: :55
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexico
- 1 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bone-in chicken breast, with skin
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 3 tablespoons shredded iceberg lettuce
- 3 tablespoons queso fresco or mild feta cheese
- Salsa: Combine the tomato, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro in a bowl. Mix well and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Brush the chicken breast with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, to taste. Put the chicken on a small sheet pan and roast until fully cooked through, about 25 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to cool before shredding.
- In a medium shallow skillet heat enough vegetable oil to come half way up the sides of the pan. Shred the chicken into small pieces and put about 2 tablespoons down the center of each corn tortilla. Roll up each tortilla like a cigar and secure them with a toothpick. Fry the tacos until golden brown on all sides, turning once, about 4 minutes total. Remove the toothpicks and cut each taco in half.
- To serve: Top with shredded lettuce and freshly made salsa. Drizzle with Mexican crema and sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco.
- You can freeze…Allow to cool completely, then freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Transfer to freezer bags and use within 2-3 months. When you are ready to eat the frozen taquitos, bake them for 8 minutes at 450F, flipping them halfway through.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Chicken Taquito