Boss Crispy Baked Chicken Wings – No false promises here – these are SERIOUSLY CRISPY Baked Buffalo Wings made in the oven! The skin is so amazingly crisp, it’s hard to believe they aren’t fried. Unbelievably simple to make, try this once and you’ll be converted for life from greasy, fried wings. You’ll make a total mess of yourself eating them. It’s just not possible to eat wings elegantly. You’ll get sauce smeared all around your mouth. You’re doing well if your shirt stays clean.
Chicken wings are a perennial favorite, they’re perfect for parties, game day, or just when you have a hankering for a hearty snack. These chicken wings are baked instead of fried, but are just as crispy and delicious as what you’d order at a restaurant. Baking chicken wings yields crisp skin without the mess and constant tending of frying. Divide the wings between the two sauces, or double one sauce recipe and use it on all 60 wings.
It’s important to make baked buffalo wings on a rack so that the fat can drain off and the wings will be crispy on all sides. Chicken wings take about 45-50 minutes to bake. It may seem like a long time, but it is very important to render the fat from the chicken wings so that the skin can crisp up perfectly. I love that I can have one of my favorite restaurant indulgences at home for less effort and less calories!Print
Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
Baking wings yields crisp skin without the mess and constant tending of frying. Divide the wings between the two sauces, or double one sauce recipe and use it on all 60 wings.
- Prep Time: 50
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 70
- Yield: 60 1x
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Frank’s)
- 1/4 Water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 2×1″ piece of ginger, peeled, sliced
- 5 pounds chicken wings, tips removed, drumettes and flats separated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- For buffalo sauce: Mix first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in hot sauce; keep warm. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Let cool completely; cover and chill. Rewarm before using.
- For ginger-soy glaze: Bring all ingredients and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve honey. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1/4 cup, 7–8 minutes. Strain into a medium bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes to thicken slightly. DO AHEAD: Can be made 5 days ahead. Cover; chill. Rewarm before using.
- For wings: Preheat oven to 400°F. Set a wire rack inside each of 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Place all ingredients in a large bowl; toss to coat. Divide wings between prepared racks and spread out in a single layer.
- Bake wings until cooked through and skin is crispy, 45–50 minutes.
- Line another rimmed baking sheet with foil; top with a wire rack. Add half of wings to ginger-soy glaze and toss to evenly coat. Place wings in a single layer on prepared rack and bake until glaze is glossy and lightly caramelized, 8–10 minutes.
- Toss remaining half of wings in Buffalo sauce. Serve immediately (no need to bake).
- Serving Size: 20