Chicken and Dumplings, just a big bowl of pure comfort! When it comes to chicken and dumplings recipes, it’s hard to pick a favorite. This is a very simple recipe that your family will LOVE! Deli-roasted chicken, cream of chicken soup, and canned biscuits make a quick-and-tasty version of classic chicken with dumplings.
This is one of our all-time favorite recipes, and for good reason: it’s a modern take on a very comforting classic. Chicken with dumplings is a dish which normally consists of a chicken cooked in a dutch oven with water, with the resulting chicken broth being used to cook the dumplings by boiling. A dumpling—in this context—is a biscuit dough, which is a mixture of flour, shortening, and liquid. As you look into the history of chicken and dumplings—and when you eat them, too—you soon realize that, far from some sort of humble economy dish, it’s actually a rich, luxurious Southern icon, but also attributed to Quebec for origins.
Serve this recipe with a garden fresh dinner salad. This is a family favorite that will be requested again and again!Print
Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
When it comes to chicken and dumplings recipes, it’s hard to pick a favorite. This is a very simple recipe that your family will LOVE! Deli-roasted chicken, cream of chicken soup, and canned biscuits make a quick-and-tasty version of classic chicken and dumplings.
- Prep Time: :15
- Cook Time: :25
- Total Time: :40
- Yield: 8 1x
- Method: Stovetop
- 1 (32-oz.) container low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 (10.2-oz.) can refrigerated jumbo buttermilk biscuits
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; return to a low boil.
- Place biscuits on a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat each biscuit to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- Drop strips, 1 at a time, into boiling broth mixture. Add carrots and celery. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.
If you prefer a creamier broth, feel free to add a little bit of milk or heavy cream once the dumplings are cooked.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Chicken and Dumplings