Amazing Crispy Golden Pork Belly – This pork belly recipe has a crisp, crunchy skin and tender meat that melts in the mouth, pork belly is stunning when treated with a bit of attention. The fact that it is incredibly versatile and very affordable, really just adds to its charm. Do not make anymore than you can eat in one meal. This does not keep or reheat very well. If there are leftovers, go for a Banh Mi Sandwich.
This recipe works equally well for skin on and skinless pork belly. Here’s how to guarantee crisp, crunchy crackling and melting soft pork belly meat every time. Pork belly is a fatty piece of meat that is often used to make bacon and pancetta. However, it can also be roasted, resulting in flavorful and tender pork covered with delicious crackling. It’s that dual texture (often in a single bite) that makes it irresistible and guaranteed to please everyone at the dinner table.
At worst pork, belly can be fatty and chewy. When cooked with care and precision it’s melt in the mouth tender and sweetly flavored. The crunchy crackling is a bonus for some while for others it’s the whole reason to eat roast pork.
This is a showstopper main dish that is sure to impress. There’s just something about crisp, golden crackling that makes people swoon. Very few people can resist Golden Pork Belly and although there are a few tips and tricks to getting delicious, crunchy cracking, it’s so simple to make.Print
This pork belly recipe has a crisp, crunchy skin and tender meat that melts in the mouth, pork belly is stunning when treated with a bit of attention.
- Prep Time: :10
- Cook Time: 1:00
- Total Time: 1:10
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 lb pork belly
- 1 cup table salt
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup shaoxing rice wine
- 2 tbsp brown sugar you can replace with sugar substitute for low carb or keto
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Using a paper towel, pat skin of pork belly until it is completely dry. Mix marinade ingredients in a bowl and then pour into a rectangular pan that is big enough to hold the pork belly. Place pork belly into the pan, making sure only the meat touches the marinade and the skin stays completely dry. If the marinade level is too high you can pour some of it out. Place in fridge for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Completely line a roasting pan with foil (this will make clean-up much easier). Pour 1 inch of water into bottom of pan. Place wire rack on top of roasting pan to hold the pork belly. Place the pork belly on the wire rack. The pork belly will cook above the water, with the pork drippings dripping down below into the water. Make sure the pork belly is level (if one part is lower/shorter the skin will not cook evenly. if you have to, use something oven-safe to prop up a shorter part to keep it completely level).
- Spread 1 cup of salt evenly across the pork belly skin. Place into top half of oven. Bake for about 40 minutes until meat looks cooked.
- Remove pork belly and increase oven temperature to 465°F. The salt that was poured over pork belly should have formed a crust. Remove salt crust from pork belly. Wipe off any excess salt from the pork belly skin. Once oven has reached desired temperature, place pork belly back into oven. Bake for another 30 minutes until skin is completely bubbly and crisp. Let pork belly cool a few minutes before cutting and serving.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: Golden Pork Belly