Diabetic Friendly, Beef Stuffed Cabbage RollsPrint
Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls – A cabbage roll is a dish consisting of cooked cabbage leaves wrapped around a variety of fillings. Get Creative!! Cabbage rolls can vary depending on the origin, the Polish version usually contains meat and rice while the Ukrainian version generally contains only rice.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 360
- Total Time: 380
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In batches, cook cabbage in boiling water 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; cool slightly. Trim the thick vein from the bottom of each cabbage leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, onion, egg, milk, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Place about 1/4 cup beef mixture on each cabbage leaf. Pull together cut edges of leaf to overlap; fold over filling. Fold in sides and roll up.
- Place 6 rolls in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, seam side down. In a bowl, mix sauce ingredients; pour half of the sauce over cabbage rolls. Top with remaining rolls and sauce. Cook, covered, on LOW for 6-8 hours or until a thermometer inserted in beef reads 160° and cabbage is tender.
- 2 cabbage rolls: 204 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 446mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
- Serving Size: 6