Excellent appetizer recipe for Ham and Cheddar CroquettesPrint
Ham and Cheddar Croquettes
Ham and Cheddar Croquettes are super crispy on the outside and very creamy on the inside. These two-bite appetizers are a great way to use up leftover ham and they go well with dry white wine.
Not what you are looking for? Try these other amazing Appetizer recipes:
- Prep Time: 60
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 75
- Yield: 30 1x
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 oz. Virginia ham, finely chopped
- 4 oz. white cheddar, grated
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1 cup flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Canola oil, for frying
- Boil potatoes in a 4-qt. pot of salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl; set aside. Add 1 tbsp. butter to the pot, and melt over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add to potatoes along with remaining butter, cream, salt and pepper. Using a potato masher, mash until smooth. Fold in ham, cheese, and chives; chill for 20 minutes.
- Using flour-dusted hands, form 2 tbsp. chilled ham mixture into a 3″-long oval and flatten the ends; dredge in flour, dip in beaten eggs, then coat with bread crumbs. Repeat with remaining mixture, flour, eggs, and bread crumbs; transfer to a plate and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2″ oil in a 6-qt. saucepan to 375°. Working in batches, fry croquettes, turning as needed, until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt.
- Serving Size: 8