Korean Popcorn Chicken is so tasty and yummy!!Print
Korean Popcorn Chicken
Korean Popcorn Chicken – Crispy fried chicken in a sweet and spicy sauce. What could be better than popcorn chicken? I’d say it’s this crunchy and sticky KOREAN style popcorn chicken! If you’re looking for a summer party starter that’s all fire and crunch then you have just gotten super lucky! Because this sticky, spicy, tangy and crunchy Korean popcorn chicken is where it’s all at!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30
- 1 lb chicken, boneless, skinless thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil (for frying)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (korean red chili paste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Chicken: Preheat canola oil in a heavy bottomed pot to 350 degrees.
- Combine chicken and rice wine vinegar in a large bowl. Allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a shallow baking dish or bowl whisk together cornstarch, salt and pepper. Working in batches dredge the marinated chicken in the cornstarch mixture. Fry chicken in batches for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned and fully cooked. Allow the oil to come up to temperature between frying. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Season with salt.
- Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a large saute pan over medium high heat. Allow the mixture to come to a boil then reduce heat to medium low until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Add the cooked chicken to the sauce and toss to coat. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and sliced scallions.
- Serving Size: 4