A wonderful Lavender Honey Cake from Giada De Laurentiis of the Food Network
Lavender Honey Cake
Giada De Laurentiis nails it with this wonderfully simple Lavender Honey Cake. The honey’s light citrus notes followed by a slight floral element work really well with the lavender and lemon. Steeping lavender onto your sweets is such a great way to get a unique flavor surprise on the table. Paired with rich, sweet honey and you have a perfectly balanced end to your day.
Read more about 21 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Honey
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 65
- Lavender Syrup
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 tablespoons dried lavender
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup semolina
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup orange blossom honey
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (from ½ lemon)
- ⅓ cup lavender syrup
- Vanilla Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out and pod reserved for another use
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch-round baking pan. Cut a circle of parchment to line the bottom of the pan and butter the parchment. Set aside.
- For the syrup, add the water, lavender, and sugar to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 4 minutes or until reduced by half. Turn off the heat and steep for 3 minutes. Strain and allow to cool to room temperature.
- For the cake, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, semolina, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lavender. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, vanilla, coconut oil, honey, eggs, lemon juice, and cooled lavender syrup.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together using a rubber spatula until just combined. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- For the vanilla cream, place the heavy cream, vanilla seeds, and honey in a large bowl. Using a handheld mixer, beat on high for about 3 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Serve each slice of cake with a dollop of the vanilla cream.
- Serving Size: 8