Northern Thai Sausage Recipe (Sai Oua)Print
Northern Thai Sausage Recipe (Sai Oua)
Sai oua is a northern Thai sausage made from minced pork mixed with a variety of ingredients which makes it packed with flavour, and gives it a unique scent. It is usually made using sausage casing, however since they can often be hard to find, we have made this recipe simpler by forgoing the sausage casing, and grilling the meat directly, however you could use the casing if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30
- 1lb minced pork
- 1 tbsp finely chopped kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onion
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 10 dried chillies
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh turmeric
- 1 tbsp chopped lemongrass
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 tbsp chopped shallots
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 egg
- Add 1/2 tbsp of chopped turmeric, 1/2 tbsp of finely chopped garlic, 1 tbsp of chopped shallots, 1 tbsp of chopped lemongrass, 1/2 teaspoon of shrimp paste, 10 dried chillies and 1/2 tbsp of salt to a mortar and pestle, and crush for a few minutes until you are left with a thick paste.
- Add the paste to a mixing bowl along with minced pork, 1 egg, 1/2 tbsp of sugar and 1/2 tbsp of soy sauce. Mix everything together thoroughly by hand, then add 1 tbsp of finely chopped lime leaves, 1 tbsp of chopped spring onion and 1 tbsp of finely chopped coriander, and mix in with the pork. Once everything is mixed together, leave the pork for 30 minutes.
- Lay out some cling film on a flat surface, and spoon on about half of the pork. Roll the pork up in the cling film into a sausage shape, then repeat with the rest of the mixture. If you want to use sausage casings, ignore this step and instead put the pork in the sausage casings.
- Remove the sausages from the cling film, and cut them into two pieces, then place them on skewers, and grill on a medium heat for about 20 minutes, turning regularly so that they are cooked evenly all over. Then slice up the sausage and serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4