Savory Crepes – These whole wheat crepes make for a delicious savory breakfast or lunch, this recipe provides an excellent balance of protein, whole grains, and non-starchy vegetables.Print
This is an simple and easy Savory Crepe recipe. The scramble may leave behind a little liquid from steaming the broccoli. Try to leave it behind when scooping out the scramble to fill the crepes. The whole wheat crepes were perfect to roll up around our savory filling. I need to make these crepes more often. Maybe, I will do a sweet version next time.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 30
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 small onion, small dice
- 8 slices deli ham (1/2 ounce each), diced
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup fat-free half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Whisk all the crepe ingredients together in a large bowl except for the cooking spray. Blend the mixture in a blender or with an immersion blender. Let the crepe batter rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Add cooking spray to a 10-inch nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Let the pan heat until a drop of water sizzles in the bottom of the pan.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the crepe batter to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. Let the crepe cook until the edges begin to brown. Using a spatula, flip the crepe and continue to cook for another minute. Slide the crepe on to a plate and continue this process to make 8 crepes.
- Steam the broccoli florets in the microwave or in a sauce pan in an inch of water. Steam until the florets are fork tender.
- Add cooking spray to a nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and ham until the onion is soft and beginning to caramelize.
- Add the steamed broccoli, and using a spatula, break the broccoli up into small pieces, stirring it with the ham and onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites, fat-free half and half, and pepper. Add the mixture and the Parmesan cheese to the vegetables and stir to scramble.
- Fill and roll each crepe with ½ cup egg and vegetable scramble.
- Choices: 1½ Starch, 1 Vegetable, 2 Lean Protein, 1 Fat
- Serving Size: 4