This Smothered Chicken & Mushroom Gravy is soooo good!! An excellent weeknight recipe for your family! A delicious recipe for Chicken & Mushrooms. Tender chicken smothered in a creamy homemade mushroom gravy is excellent. You could give your chicken some European flair with mushrooms and that is just what this recipe does!
Your chicken dinner just got upgraded with this ridiculously delicious, slow-cooked Smothered Chicken & Mushroom recipe. The tender chicken breasts are smothered in the tastiest mushroom gravy you’ve ever tasted! You’ll never go back to your old way of making chicken again. Here’s how to make it!
This is the best chicken and mushrooms recipe that I have ever tried. The chicken is so tender and juicy, and the gravy is rich and creamy. It’s the perfect comfort food for a cold winter day. A few ingredients go into this dish, but it doesn’t take much time to make it. You’ll need some butter or olive oil to cook the chicken in, as well as garlic salt, thyme leaves, all-purpose flour, whole milk (or cream), heavy cream (or more milk), chopped fresh mushrooms and salt.
This dish is delicious served over rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles. For a complete meal, add a side of steamed broccoli or green beans. For an extra special touch, garnish with fresh parsley or thyme leaves.Print
Smothered Chicken & Mushroom Gravy
- Prep Time: :15
- Cook Time: :25
- Total Time: :40
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced (or 1/4 cup finely minced yellow or white onion)
- 8 ounces white button or baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup milk, half-and-half or cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until rippling and hot. Add the chicken and cook for about 4 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through. Don’t overcook or you’ll have dry chicken (if you have a thermometer, cook until 165 degrees F). Remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt over medium heat. Stir in the shallot, mushrooms, salt, thyme and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are tender and golden and the liquid has released and most of it has evaporated, 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushroom/onion mixture and stir while the mixture cooks for 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the broth, adding just a bit at a time and whisking until thick then adding a bit more (this will help the flour to absorb into the liquid and not clump on the mushrooms).
- Once all the broth has been added and the sauce is smooth, stir in the milk, and simmer the mixture for 5-7 minutes until it is thick and bubbly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately over the reserved chicken
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Smothered Chicken & Mushroom Gravy