Air Fryer Fried Tofu recipe is all about textural contrast: the crispy outer coating vs. the soft, tender interior of the soft tofu itself. I serve it drizzled with a quick sauce, reduced down until thick and syrupy, and fresh scallions. The best part? No deep-frying necessary!
To get real crispy fried tofu you’d typically need to heat up a bunch of oil, worrying about over cooking and a very messy cleanup. But, the air fryer makes getting perfect golden brown tofu a cinch. The basic steps of this recipe are to marinade the tofu, dredge it in cornstarch, air fry and then toss in sauce. If you’ve claimed yourself not a tofu fan, you probably just haven’t had tofu the prepared the right way.
I was super hungry and desperate for dinner fast, I tried this new-and-improved method and it worked so well I’ve since used this one exclusively! It’s that good. I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner. Plus, it easily carves 5-10 minutes off of the original method and includes the opportunity to add more seasonings. Hello, quick and fried tofu!
What is tofu?
Tofu, or bean curd, is a popular food derived from soya. It is made by curdling fresh soya milk, pressing it into a solid block and then cooling it, in much the same way that traditional dairy cheese is made by curdling and solidifying milk.
Not what you are looking for? Try these other great recipes:Print
Air Fryer Fried Tofu
Try this amazingly simple Air Fryer Fried Tofu simple, tasty and no mess!
- Prep Time: :10
- Cook Time: :35
- Total Time: :45
- Yield: 3–4 Servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Asian
1/4 c. Thai sweet chili sauce
Steamed white rice, for serving
Scallions, sliced for garnish
Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Toss tofu cubes, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a large bowl. Toss well, cover, and transfer to the fridge to marinate for 20 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat air fryer to 400ºF. In a medium bowl, whisk together cornstarch, salt and black pepper.
- Working in batches if necessary, toss tofu in the cornstarch mixture until thoroughly coated. Shake off excess cornstarch and add tofu in a single layer to the air fryer basket
- Spray the cubes with a bit of cooking spray and air fry the tofu for 15 minutes, tossing half way through, until it is golden and crispy.
- Prepare the sauce: While the tofu cooks, in a large bowl, whisk together mayo, chili sauce, sriracha, and grated garlic. Season to taste with salt and set aside.
- When all the tofu is cooked, add the tofu and toss in the sauce. Serve over white rice, and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.
Keywords: Air Fryer Fried Tofu