Copy cat Houston’s Canadian Cheese Soup is super creamy and yummy soup!Print
Houston’s Canadian Cheese Soup
Canadian Cheese Soup is a super creamy cheddar cheese soup that is easy to prepare and makes a satisfying lunch or dinner in the cold winter months. Tip: Serve a crock of this rich soup at your game day party! Ladle the soup into teacups for sipping, and let guests sprinkle on their own toppings of bacon, chopped hard-boiled egg and chives.
During the deep, dark days of winter, nothing says “comfort” like a bowl of hot Canadian Cheese Soup. A few simple ingredients make a sumptuous soup. Be sure to use a high-quality cheese; it’s crucial to the dish’s flavor. This soup is decadent and delicious, even better served with crispy garlic cheese toasts!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 cup Carrots 1/8 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 cup Onions
- 1/2 cup Celery 1/8 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoon Flour
- 3 cup Chicken Broth
- 3 cup Half and Half
- 2 pounds Velveeta, cubed
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Parsley
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven. Add the carrots, onions and celery all at once. And saute until soft but not brown. Add flour and stir to combine.
- Cook until mixture begins to turn a light-brown color. Over medium high heat, add the chicken broth a little at a time. Stir and continue to cook and stir with a whisk until a thick base is formed.
- Add half and half being careful not to let boil.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Just before serving add parsley.
- Garnish with diced tomatoes and jalapenos if desired.
- Serving Size: 8