Prepare to be amazed by the incredible moistness and tenderness of these Yukon Gold Potato Cinnamon Rolls. These fluffy delights are an absolute treat, and the addition of a simple mashed potato mixture takes them to a whole new level. Trust me, the extra step of incorporating the potatoes into the dough is well worth it, as it keeps these rolls incredibly soft and moist for days on end.
Let’s dive into the recipe and experience the magic for ourselves. Begin by peeling and cutting 1 pound of Yukon Gold potatoes into 2-inch pieces. In a pot, bring water to a boil and add the potatoes along with 1 tablespoon of coarse kosher salt. Cook the potatoes until they are tender, then drain and mash them. Next, add in 1/2 cup of unsalted butter and mix until it melts and blends seamlessly with the potatoes. Set this mixture aside to cool.
In a separate bowl, beat 3 large eggs. Gradually incorporate 4 1/2 cups (or more) of unbleached all-purpose flour into the beaten eggs, alternating with the cooled mashed potato mixture. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of sugar in 1/2 cup of warm water (105°F to 115°F) and sprinkle 3 1/4-ounce envelopes of active dry yeast over the top. Let it sit for a few minutes until the yeast becomes foamy. Add this yeast mixture to the dough and mix until a smooth and elastic dough forms.
Now, let’s prepare the filling. Combine 1 1/3 cups of packed golden brown sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon, and 3 tablespoons of unbleached all-purpose flour in a bowl. Incorporate 9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) of room temperature unsalted butter into this mixture until it forms a crumbly consistency.
Roll out the dough into a rectangle and spread the filling evenly over the surface. Roll up the dough tightly and cut it into individual rolls. Place them in a baking dish, cover, and let them rise until they double in size.
Bake the rolls until they turn golden brown and fill your kitchen with a heavenly aroma. While they cool slightly, prepare the glaze by whisking together 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup of melted unsalted butter, 2 tablespoons (or more) of whole milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1/8 teaspoon of coarse kosher salt.
Drizzle the glaze generously over the warm cinnamon rolls, allowing it to seep into every crevice. The result is a luscious, sweet finish that perfectly complements the fluffy, potato-infused rolls.
Get ready to savor these delightful Yukon Gold Potato Cinnamon Rolls, indulging in their incredible moistness and heavenly flavors. These rolls will become a beloved favorite in your household, offering a unique twist to a classic treat.Print
Yukon Gold Cinnamon Rolls
Yukon Gold Potatoes help make the dough amazingly moist and tender.
- Prep Time: :20
- Rise: 1:20
- Cook Time: 1:05
- Total Time: 2:45
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 4 1/2 cups (or more) unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
- 3 1/4-ounce envelopes active dry yeast (scant 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/3 cups (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unbleached
- all purpose flour
- 9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons (or more) whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- For dough: Combine potatoes, 2 cups water, and 1 tablespoon coarse salt in large saucepan. Boil until potatoes are very tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Mash potatoes with water in pan (do not drain water). Add butter and mash until butter is melted. Whisk in eggs, then 1 cup flour; mash until very smooth. Let potatoes stand until barely lukewarm, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour 1/2 cup warm water into large bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment; stir in yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add potato mixture to yeast mixture; mix on low speed until well blended, 2 minutes. Mix in 3 cups flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well. Beat until sticky dough forms.
- Spread 1/2 cup flour on work surface. Scrape dough out onto floured work surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls if dough is very sticky, about 8 minutes.
- Coat large bowl with butter. Transfer dough to bowl and turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, then kitchen towel. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- To make filling: Mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour in medium bowl. Using fork, mix in butter.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 425°F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Turn dough out onto well-floured work surface. Roll out dough to 24×16-inch rectangle. Sprinkle filling evenly over dough. Starting at 1 long side, roll up dough jelly-roll style, enclosing filling. Using large knife dipped in flour, cut roll crosswise into 12 pieces. Transfer rolls to baking sheet, spacing rolls about 3/4 inch apart. Cover baking sheet loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm draft-free area until almost doubled in volume, about 20 minutes (rolls will be very puffy).
- Bake cinnamon rolls until golden, about 20 minutes. Cool rolls 10 minutes on baking sheet.
- To make glaze: Whisk powdered sugar, melted butter, 2 tablespoons milk, vanilla, and coarse salt in small bowl. If glaze is too thick to spread, add more milk by 1/2 teaspoonfuls as needed. Spread glaze over warm rolls.
Keywords: Yukon Gold Cinnamon Rolls