Chicken Parmesan, an Italian dish layered with cheese and tomato sauce then baked, sounds like it might be intimidating to make at home, but it’s actually fairly easy! Keep these tips in mind while you prepare your chicken, and you will end up with one of the most delicious meals you have ever made!
This excellent, top-rated chicken Parmesan recipe makes a delicious, satisfying family meal with spaghetti and a simple salad, and it’s very easy to prepare and bake. The chicken is breaded, browned, then baked with spaghetti sauce along with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
When it comes to making Chicken Parmesan, the key is all in the layering. You’ll want to start with a generous portion of tomato sauce on the bottom of your dish. Then, add a yummy layer of cheese – we recommend mozzarella for its classic flavor. Next, add your chicken. Be sure to season it with salt, pepper, and Italian herbs before adding another layer of cheese and tomato sauce. Bake in a preheated oven until bubbly and golden brown.Print
This top-rated chicken Parmesan recipe makes a delicious, satisfying family meal with spaghetti and a simple salad, and it’s easy to prepare and bake. The chicken is breaded, browned, then baked with spaghetti sauce along with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Prep Time: :35
- Cook Time: :20
- Total Time: :55
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 slice(s) whole-wheat sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon(s) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- 4 (6 to 8 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 cup(s) (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 can(s) (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes in puree
- 1 clove(s) garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, with rack in upper third. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside. In a food processor, place bread, Parmesan, oil, and a pinch each salt and pepper. Pulse until coarse crumbs form; transfer to a shallow bowl. Place flour in a second shallow bowl; season with salt and pepper. Place egg white in a third shallow bowl, and beat with a fork until frothy.
- Dip top side of a chicken breast in flour, shaking off excess. Dip same side in egg white, letting excess drip off, then in breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere. (Do not bread other side.) Repeat with remaining chicken and transfer, breaded side up, to prepared baking sheet. Bake until breadcrumbs are crisp and browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with mozzarella. Continue baking until chicken is opaque throughout and cheese is lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, place tomatoes, breaking them up with your fingers. Add garlic; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until sauce has thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve chicken with a generous amount of tomato sauce.
- Flatten the chicken breasts to cook quickly and evenly, or slice them horizontally to make two thin cutlets for each chicken breast. Or, you could purchase thinly sliced chicken cutlets.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Chicken Parmesan