Garlicky Caesar Salad is romaine lettuce and croutons dressed with anchovies, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and black pepper. This is the perfect Caesar salad recipe: cheesy, crunchy, creamy, just like the one you would order in a restaurant, but so easy to make. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that the best Caesar salad is also the most traditional version. That means it’s time to bring out the anchovies and eggs — and don’t skimp on quality Parmesan cheese. We’ve even included garlicky homemade croutons to balance the tangy dressing.
Caesar salad originated in Mexico. The story goes that restaurateur Caesar Cardini invented the recipe in Tijuana in 1924. Apparently during a busy service rush while they were running low on ingredients, Cardini started combing things like Parmesan, egg yolks, and other ingredients to create a dressing for some lettuce, and one of the most popular salads was born, someday to become a permanent staple on the menus of a many restaurants in America, from high end place, to fast food joints.
Garlic is revered in Egypt for its medicinal qualities, and prized in Italian, Asian, and Indian cooking, garlic has been called “the stinking rose” for good reason. Check out more Garlic Recipes. Garlic isn’t just great for enhancing the flavor of your favorite dishes — it may be good for your health.
Read more about 14 Science-Backed Health Benefits of GarlicPrint
Garlicky Caesar Salad
Garlicky Caesar Salad is romaine lettuce and croutons dressed with anchovies, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and black pepper.
- Prep Time: :15
- Total Time: :15
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Starter
- Method: None
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino, plus thin shavings of pecorino, for serving (optional)
- 1 anchovy fillet, drained, plus more fillets, for serving (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 3 chilled large hearts of romaine (about 1 pound), leaves left whole
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a blender, combine the mayonnaise with the 3 tablespoons of grated pecorino, 1 anchovy and the water, vinegar, garlic, Worcestershire and Tabasco. Process until smooth. Season with white pepper.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the romaine with the dressing and season with black pepper. Garnish with pecorino shavings and anchovy fillets and serve right away.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: Garlicky Caesar Salad