Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Panna Cotta with Balsamic Strawberries recipe from Ina Garten.Print
Panna cotta is an Italian dessert of sweetened cream thickened with gelatin and molded. The cream may be aromatized with rum, coffee, vanilla, or other flavorings. This panna cotta is like eating vanilla ice cream. Although panna cotta translates as “cooked cream,” in fact, you heat the heavy cream only long enough to dissolve the sugar and a little gelatin. This molded chilled dessert popular throughout Italy, is very easy to make and can be prepared in advance.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 1450
- 1/2 packet (1 teaspoon) unflavored gelatin powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 pints (4 cups) sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated lemon zest, for serving
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin on 1 1/2 tablespoons of cold water. Stir and set aside for 10 minutes to allow the gelatin to dissolve.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup of the cream, the yogurt, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean seeds. Heat the remaining 3/4 cup of cream and the 1/3 cup of sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Off the heat, add the softened gelatin to the hot cream and stir to dissolve. Pour the hot cream-gelatin mixture into the cold cream-yogurt mixture and stir to combine. Pour into 4 (6 to 8-ounce) ramekins or custard cups and refrigerate uncovered until cold. When the panna cottas are thoroughly chilled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine the strawberries, balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar, and pepper 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving. Set aside at room temperature.
- To serve, run a small knife around each dessert in the ramkein and dip the bottom of each ramekin quickly in a bowl of hot tap water. Invert each ramekin onto a dessert plate and surround the panna cotta with strawberries. Dust lightly with freshly grated lemon zest and serve.
- Serving Size: 4