Super Creamy Cremini Mushroom Soup recipe uses reduced-fat sour cream and low-fat milk. This is an excellent Creamy Cremini Mushroom Soup recipe. Pair with a dinner salad and some french bread for a truly special meal. This recipe uses reduced-fat sour cream and low-fat milk.
Cream of mushroom soup is a simple type of soup where a basic roux is thinned with cream or milk and then mushrooms and/or mushroom broth are added. This is just pure essence of mushroom gently cooked in a Dutch Oven. The cremini mushrooms have a stronger mushroom flavor than regular white / button mushrooms but make the soup browner.
What’s the one thing that makes this Mushroom Soup stand out from the rest? You’ll enjoy mushroom flavor in every bite. As strange and obvious as that sounds, most mushroom soups are actually nothing more than mushroom bits floating in a bland flavored creamy soup broth. But this recipe is 100% mushroom flavor – down to the last mouthful!
Fun mushroom fact: White / button, Swiss Brown / cremini and portobello mushrooms are actually all the same mushroom – just in different stages of the mushroom’s life cycle.Print
Cremini Mushroom Soup
This is an excellent Creamy Cremini Mushroom Soup recipe.
- Prep Time: :10
- Cook Time: :30
- Total Time: :40
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, or 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Dry sherry, to taste
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add thyme and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in mushrooms, cover pot and steam until the mushrooms exude their moisture, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in broth, scraping up any flour that clings to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and smooth, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine sour cream and milk; whisk into the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Gently heat until the soup is hot but not boiling.
- Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and sherry (if using).
- Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don’t use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that’s sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Cremini Mushroom Soup