Easy Chicken Thighs with Cumin, Cayenne, and Citrus is a great weeknight recipe.Print
Easy Chicken Thighs
Easy Chicken Thighs with Cumin, Cayenne and Citrus is a great weeknight recipe. Chicken thighs have a huge advantage over lean breasts. The skin browns nicely and the meat stays juicy even when thoroughly cooked, which makes them ideal for grilling or broiling.
Serve with a baked potato and Quick Southern-Style Baked Beans from Pioneer Woman, Sauteed Spinach & Garlic or Creamed Kale.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 50
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- Pinch ground cloves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon peanut or other oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- About 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs, or 2 pounds thighs with bones
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat a gas grill, start a wood or charcoal fire or preheat a broiler; the fire should be moderately hot, and the rack should be about 4 inches from the heat source.
- Combine the garlic, onion, oregano, cumin, cayenne, cloves, salt, pepper and oil in a blender or small food processor, and blend until fairly smooth. Add the juices, taste and adjust seasoning; the flavors should be powerful.
- Smear sauce over chicken; if time allows, marinate 30 minutes or so. Grill 6 to 8 minutes a side, or until meat is nicely browned and cooked medium or better on the inside. (Thighs with bones will take longer, about 20 minutes total.) Serve, garnished with the cilantro.
- Serving Size: 4