Try these Fried Smashed Potatoes with Lemons as an excellent side dish to most dinners.
Try this excellent recipe from Giada De Laurentiis for the amazing Fried Smashed Potatoes with Lemon. So good and simple. These vegan crispy potatoes are made even more irresistible with a tangy, herby vinaigrette.
Simply boil the baby potatoes until they’re just tender, let them cool enough to be handled, then press them using a flat-bottomed glass or mug, until they flatten a bit and you hear their skins begin to snap. Next, you heat up some oil in a skillet and fry the potatoes until they’re nice and brown on their flat sides. Each potato is then crisp and caramelized but still super moist inside.
This technique can be done with any starchy fruit or vegetable. Plantains are classic and are sprinkled with salt and chili powder and dressed with a tiny bit of lime juice. There’s no reason you couldn’t try this with other root vegetables or winter squash and a variety of seasonings.
Fried smashed potatoes are the perfect mix of creamy mashed potatoes and crisp roast potatoes and makes an easy, delicious side dish. Try these potatoes with Filet of Beef, Grilled Tri-Tip Steak, St. Louis-Style Steak or Savory Grilled T-Bones.Print
Fried Smashed Potatoes with Lemon
Try this excellent recipe for Giada De Laurentiis Fried Smashed Potatoes with Lemon.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 45
- 2 pounds baby or fingerling potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra as needed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 lemons, zested
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the potatoes: Put the potatoes in an 8-quart stockpot with enough cold water to cover by at least 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and allow to dry for 5 minutes. Using the palm of your hand, gently press the potatoes until lightly smashed.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 cup of oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly brown, about 1 minute. Remove the garlic and discard. In batches, add the potatoes and cook, without stirring, until the bottoms turn golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the potatoes over and cook, drizzling with oil, if needed, until golden brown on the other side for another 5 to 8 minutes.
- For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon the dressing over the potatoes and toss gently until coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and serve.
- Serving Size: 4