Try this Perfect Risotto by Pioneer Woman. Risotto is a dish that’s become associated with fancy high end restaurants, but really, it’s the epitome of Italian home cooking and comfort food. Risotto is a northern Italian rice dish cooked with broth until it reaches a creamy consistency. The broth can be derived from meat, fish, or vegetables. Many types of risotto contain butter, onion, white wine, and Parmesan cheese. It is one of the most common ways of cooking rice in Italy.
This basic risotto recipe is made with butter, Parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley. It’s a perfect recipe to start with if you’ve never made risotto before. Risotto takes a while to cook properly, and it requires your attention as well as your time.
For upward of 20 minutes, you have one job and one job only: Add hot stock, a ladle at a time, to the pan of rice and cook very slowly, stirring very often, so that all of the stock is absorbed. This technique is called the risotto method. This method helps to release the rice’s starches, in turn producing a very creamy, velvety dish. If you can’t find Arborio rice in your local store, you can always find it on Amazon.
Not what you are looking for? Try the other excellent side dishes Quick Southern-Style Baked Beans from Pioneer Woman, Sauteed Spinach & Garlic or Creamed Kale.
Want more risotto recipes? Try these:Print
Risotto is a dish that’s become associated with fancy high end restaurants, but really, it’s the epitome of Italian home cooking and comfort food.
- Prep Time: :15
- Cook Time: :45
- Total Time: 1:00
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 cups Parmesan, Romano, Or Asiago Cheese (or A Mixture Of All Three)
- 3–4 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 whole Large Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 pound Arborio Rice
- 7 cups (to 8 Cups) Chicken Broth
- 1 cup (to 1 1/2 Cups) Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon (to 2 Tablespoons) Chives, Chopped
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- Grate 2 cups of cheese. Peel and finely dice 3 to 4 cloves of garlic. Dice ½ of a large onion.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil. Then add 1 tablespoon of butter. Throw in the garlic and onion and sauté for a couple of minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add 1 pound of Arborio rice and stir to coat the rice thoroughly. Adding 1 cup at a time, add 7-8 ounces of chicken broth, stirring constantly after each addition. As soon as it appears that the rice has absorbed each helping of broth, add in the next helping. Do not stop stirring. This process will take at least 20 minutes. Rice is done when it no longer has a hard bite.
- When more of the broth is absorbed pour in 1 to 1 ½ cups of heavy cream. Next add the grated cheese and stir thoroughly. Add in plenty of fresh cracked pepper and about 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped chives. Add salt to taste.
- Serving Size: 8
Keywords: Perfect Risotto