Try these easy Pumpkin & Peanut Butter Dog Treats. Soft-baked goodness for our pups! The wonderful part about these homemade peanut butter pumpkin dog treats is that they’re super soft– perfect for senior dogs or those with sensitive teeth. My dog loves crunchy treats, but I think he loves these so much because they have a completely different texture to regular crunchy dog treats.
Store-bought dog treats are often filled with nasty additives and chemicals – ingredients that you definitely don’t want your dog eating! While they may take a little more time and effort, homemade dog treats are so much healthier. They also give you the opportunity to get creative and cook up something that your pooch will really love. Feel free to add a few other ingredients into the mix! You could try some fresh herbs, grated carrots or even a handful of berries.
Still wondering why you should make your own homemade dog treats? The following benefits are just a few reasons why:
- Prevent unhealthy additives. Many brands of commercial dog treats are filled with preservatives to help extend their shelf life. In addition, store-bought treats are often made from fillers and byproducts rather than natural and high-quality ingredients. By creating your own healthy homemade dog treats, you will be able to provide your dog with a healthy snack that is not only nutritious but also free of unhealthy additives.
- Control what goes into the recipe. By making homemade peanut butter dog treats, you can ensure that your pet is getting a nutritious and wholesome snack. You can also tailor your dog treat recipes to your dog’s taste preferences as well as cater to any dietary restrictions.
- Tasty alternative. Making your own homemade peanut butter dog treats allows you to provide your pet with a tasty alternative to his usual doggie biscuit.
Not what you are looking for? Try these other dog treat recipes:Print
Pumpkin & Peanut Butter Dog Treats
- Prep Time: :15
- Cook Time: :25
- Total Time: :40
- Yield: 15 1x
- Category: International
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Pets
- 1 cup (255g) natural creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup (180ml) skim milk
- 1 large egg (or 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 cup pumpkin, shredded
- 2 and 1/4 cups (290g) whole wheat flour* (spoon & leveled)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup (30g) oats (either whole-rolled or quick oats are fine)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the peanut butter, milk, egg, and pumpkin together with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Add the flour and baking powder. You may need to turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and use your hands to work in the flour. Mix in the oats. The dough is extremely thick and heavy.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out into 1/4″ thickness. Cut into shapes using cookie cutters. Arrange on the baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, or until very lightly browned on the bottom. Remove from the oven, and flip the treats to bake the other side for 10 more minutes. Want the treats to be a little more crunchy? Bake for 5 more minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before serving to your pup. Store at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Freezing Instructions: Since the pups can’t eat the whole batch in a week, I usually freeze them. Dogs love them right out of the freezer too! The treats freeze well up to 2 months.
- Flour: Unbleached all-purpose flour is safe for dogs, but whole wheat was more highly recommended by our vet because of its added health benefits. Again, please consult with your vet about any allergies your dog may have.
Keywords: Peanut Butter Dog Treats