SOS Hamburger Gravy – Quick and Simple.Print
SOS Hamburger Gravy
SOS Hamburger Gravy – This hamburger creamed gravy or SOS is wonderful over toast, biscuits, rice, pasta, potatoes and even grits! This easy-to-make dish comes from Depression cooking, where a little meat could be stretched to feed & fill up a lot of people, and from the United States military, for the same reason. It is also super simple and quick!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups milk (2% or higher)
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 12 slices bread, toasted
- In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat, brown the ground beef. Season with a little salt and pepper. Drain excess grease and set aside.
- Melt butter in the same sauce pan. Add flour and stir until butter/flour mixture is bubbly. Slowly add milk, salt, and pepper. Stir constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Add meat and stir. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve over toast or potatoes.
- Serving Size: 6