A diabetic friendly, slow cooker recipe for Spanish Potato Omelet or Tortilla EspanaPrint
Spanish Potato Omelet
This slow cooker Spanish Potato Omelet comes together with just eight ingredients and has just 202 calories and 11 grams of carb per serving. This is also known as Tortilla Espana. Spanish omelette or Spanish tortilla is a traditional dish from Spain and one of the signature dishes in the Spanish cuisine. It is an omelette made with eggs and potatoes, optionally including onion. It is often served at room temperature as a tapa.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 150
- Total Time: 160
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 eggs, lighlty beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato (1 medium)
- Line a 3 1/2- or 4-quart round slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Coat the liner with cooking spray. In a large skillet cook potatoes in hot oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add onion; cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until onion is tender, stirring frequently (the potatoes should still be firm).
- Transfer potato mixture to the prepared cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour eggs on top of potato mixture; stir gently to distribute potatoes evenly. Cover and cook on low-heat setting about 2 1/2 hours or until eggs are set.
- Using a knife, loosen omelet from disposable liner; transfer omelet to a plate. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil and let stand for 5 minutes to slightly melt cheese. Cut omelet into wedges. Top with tomato. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- PER SERVING: 202 cal., 12 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 284 mg chol., 389 mg sodium, 11 g carb. (1 g fiber, 1 g sugars), 12 g protein
- Diabetic Exchanges: Medium-Fat Meat (d.e): 1.5; Fat (d.e): 1; Vegetables (d.e): 0.5; Starch (d.e): 0.5
- Serving Size: 8