Give Your Shepherd’s Pie a Nutritious Makeover with Sweet Potato Crust!
Are you looking for a nutritious makeover for your Shepherd’s Pie? Try this delicious Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie! This creamy and cheesy version of the traditional Shepherd’s Pie has a delectably sweet potato crust and is made with better-for-you ingredients. Serve this tasty dish to your family and friends and enjoy a healthier Shepherd’s Pie that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Sweet potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse, packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that can help improve your health. They are an excellent source of dietary fiber, which is important for maintaining a healthy digestive system, as well as helping to keep cholesterol levels in check. Sweet potatoes are also a good source of vitamin A, which can help protect your eyesight, while they also contain vitamin C, which plays a role in boosting your immunity. Additionally, sweet potatoes are a great source of complex carbohydrates, providing you with sustained energy throughout the day. Finally, sweet potatoes are low in fat and calories, making them an ideal food for weight management.
The Shepherd’s Pie is a traditional British dish that dates back to the 1700s. The pie was originally made with the leftover meat from a Sunday roast, typically lamb or mutton, combined with potatoes and vegetables. This hearty meal was designed to help use up the leftovers, stretch out the food budget, and feed a large number of people.
Over the years, different variations of the Shepherd’s Pie have emerged. In some regions, it’s still made with the original ingredients, while in other areas, you may find variations that include ground beef, pork, or even tofu.
In recent times, creative chefs have come up with healthier versions of the classic Shepherd’s Pie, including this Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie. By swapping out the traditional mashed potato topping for a sweet potato crust, this version is a much healthier take on the classic dish. With its creamy and cheesy flavor, this Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Read more about the Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes.Print
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Try this creamy, cheesy Shepherd’s Pie with a delectably sweet potato crust. Made with better-for-you ingredients, our Shepherd’s Pie is a serious crowd-pleaser. Shepherd’s Pie turned healthier! Serve this tasty recipe to your family and friends.
- Prep Time: :20
- Cook Time: :15
- Total Time: :35
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 med. onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 (15.25 oz.) can of corn, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can of green beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 c. sweet potatoes, cubed (approx 3 med. potatoes)
- 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. In a medium pot, boil sweet potato cubes until soft; approx. 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of your cubes).
- While sweet potatoes are boiling, heat olive oil on medium-high in a large pan and saute onions until translucent; 3-5 minutes. Add ground turkey; brown and season with garlic salt, salt & oregano. Add corn, green beans and tomato sauce. Heat throughout.
- Once potatoes have softened, drain all water and mash with a potato masher, hand held immersion blender, or hand mixer.
- Spoon meat mixture into the bottom of a casserole dish and cover with prepared mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle the pie with shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie