An easy recipe for Thai Curry Soup. Thai cuisine is known for its vibrant and complex flavors, with a perfect balance of sweet, sour, spicy, and salty notes. One of the most popular and beloved dishes in Thai cuisine is Thai Curry Soup, also known as Tom Kha Gai. This rich and creamy soup is bursting with the aromatic flavors of lemongrass, galangal, and kaffir lime leaves, combined with the mild heat of red curry paste and the tanginess of lime juice.
The base of this soup is a fragrant coconut milk broth, which gives it a luxurious and creamy texture. The chicken is added to the soup, along with mushrooms and other vegetables, making it a wholesome and nutritious meal. This soup is also gluten-free and dairy-free, making it suitable for people with dietary restrictions.
One of the best things about Thai Curry Soup is its versatility. You can customize the recipe to your liking by adjusting the amount of curry paste, lime juice, or coconut milk, depending on your preference for spiciness or creaminess. This soup can be served as a comforting meal on its own or as a starter to a Thai-inspired dinner.
With its bold and complex flavors, Thai Curry Chicken Soup is sure to impress your family and friends. It’s a perfect dish to warm you up on a cold winter day or to satisfy your cravings for something savory and spicy. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make a delicious and authentic Thai Chicken Soup in just a few simple steps.
Not exactly what you are looking for? Try these other great recipes.Print
Thai Curry soup
Thai Curry soup
- Prep Time: :15
- Cook Time: :45
- Total Time: 1:00
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Thai
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- half of one onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- half of one red jalapeno pepper sliced; or 1–3 Thai chiles, halved
- 3 1/4-inch slices galangal or ginger
- 1 lemongrass stalk pounded with the side of a knife and cut into 2-inch long pieces
- 2 teaspoons red Thai curry paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups canned full-fat coconut cream unsweetened, or full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 medium chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces, or use shrimp
- 8 ounces white mushroom caps sliced
- 1–2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons fish sauce plus more to taste
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2–3 green onions sliced thin
- fresh cilantro chopped, for garnish
In a medium pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno or chile, galangal or ginger, lemongrass, and red curry paste and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until onions are softened. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
Strain out the aromatics (the garlic, onions, lemongrass, and ginger) and discard. Add in coconut cream or milk, chicken breast (or tofu or shrimp), and mushrooms. Simmer until chicken breast pieces are just cooked through, then add fish sauce, coconut aminos (or coconut sugar), and lime juice, plus more of each to taste.
Cook 2 minutes, then ladle into serving bowls and top with sliced green onions and fresh cilantro.
Keywords: Thai Curry soup