The perfect pie doesn’t exist, until you make this Hatch Chile enchilada pie. Think of this recipe as a layered enchilada in pie form. Layers of chicken, hatch chiles, tomatoes, shredded cheese and red enchilada sauce create this savory chicken enchilada pie.
You can never go wrong with enchiladas. Especially when they’re made with juicy chicken thighs and Hatch Chiles. An enchilada pie takes all the flavors you love in enchiladas and brings them together in an easy-to-assemble tortilla pie. Have your pie and eat it, too. It is actually laid out much like lasagna so it’s a lot less work than traditional enchiladas. Layer it up!
If you’re looking for an easy, family friendly, Layered Enchilada Casserole, this is for you! This main-dish chicken enchilada pie certainly stacks up—and it’s ready in a flash. Simply baked in a glass baking dish or casserole with cooking spray. Garnished with black olives, tomatoes, and green onion, this is a filling casserole.
I’m giving you this recipe, but that should just be a jumping point. Use ground beef instead of ground turkey if you prefer. I’ve even made it with chorizo! We like a sharp cheddar, but jalapeño jack, Monterey jack, or a more traditional cotija cheese is delicious too.
Serve with Spanish Rice and Schmaltz-Refried Pinto Beans. Here are some other good accompaniments for this recipe homemade Classic Mexican Guacamole, Raw Salsa Using Cherry Tomatoes and some Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars for dessert.Print
Hatch Chile Enchilada Pie
Tasty comfort food and a fun way to use slightly spicy, slightly sweet Hatch chiles when they’re available.
- Prep Time: :20
- Cook Time: 1:30
- Total Time: 1:50
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: TexMex
- 6 eaches Hatch chile peppers, sliced in half lengthwise and seeded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven’s broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Arrange Hatch chiles, skin-side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Cook under the preheated broiler until the skin of the peppers has blackened and blistered, 5 to 8 minutes. Cool; remove and discard skins. Roughly chop chiles.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken thighs until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Pour 1 cup chicken broth over thighs and bring to a boil. Cover skillet and reduce heat to medium. Cook the chicken thighs until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 5 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Remove from heat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper in hot oil until onion is soft, about 6 minutes. Stir chopped chiles, tomatoes, and 1 1/2 cups chicken broth into onion mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chiles and onion are tender, 20 minutes.
- Mash chile-onion mixture to a sauce consistency. Remove chicken thighs from chicken broth, reserving 1/2 cup broth. Stir thighs into chile sauce; cook until chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spread a thin layer of chile chicken sauce on the bottom of an 8-inch pie dish. Arrange a layer of corn tortillas over sauce, spread another layer of chile chicken sauce over the tortillas, and sprinkle Mexican cheese blend over sauce. Repeat layering process until all tortillas, sauce, and cheese are used, ending with a layer of cheese. Pour 1/2 cup reserved chicken broth over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Hatch Chile Enchilada Pie