You don’t need takeout with this easy Vegetable Chow Mein recipe, just packed with veggies!! Veggie lovers rejoice: snap peas, carrots, broccoli and bell peppers mixed with chow mein noodles in a savory sauce. If you can’t find chow mein noodles, try substituting ramen noodles, which are very similar. What’s really important is the thickness — you want your noodles to be on the thinner side so they crisp up easily when you fry them. This is a very simple healthy and tasty dish.
Do the prep, as the frying process goes very fast, so you really want everything to be ready for you when you need it. You can cut the veggies any way you like. Usually they are cut thinly so they are almost hidden with the noodles. I like to mix it up and have smaller and chunkier vegetable for texture.
Homemade vegetable chow mein that’s better than takeout and almost as easy! Mix your sauce, chop the veggies, and boil the noodles. If you have any leftovers, it will keep in an air tight container in the fridge for a couple of days.
Not what you are looking for? Try these other Asian Noodle soup recipes:Print
Vegetable Chow Mein
You don’t need takeout with this easy Vegetable Chow Mein recipe.
- Prep Time: :20
- Cook Time: :10
- Total Time: :30
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top / Wok
- Cuisine: Asian
- 8 ounces yellow Chinese egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1/4 pound broccoli florets, cut into one-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Rinse under cold water, drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin, rice vinegar, brown sugar and water. Set aside.
- Heat the oil over high heat. Stir in the garlic, onion, and ginger. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the garlic and onions are soft and fragrant.
- Stir in carrot, broccoli and bell peppers. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the noodles and sauce mixture. Toss everything together until combined and heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 2
Keywords: Vegetable Chow Mein