Zucchini Lasagna – Diabetic Friendly RecipePrint
Zucchini Lasagna – This is a Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna that is a healthy and tasty alternative to your normal lasagna. You don’t need pasta or a heavy sauce for this delicious lasagna! It packs 30 grams of protein with only 12 grams of carbs and 8 grams of fat per serving! Zucchini Lasagna is a delicious, low-carb, wheat-free and gluten-free lasagna that’s loaded with vegetables, it’s SO good you will not miss the pasta! If the sauce is allowed to simmer on the stove for the full 25 minutes, it will bring a lot of yumminess to the beef and zucchini.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 60
- Total Time: 90
- 16 oz. ground beef, 92%
- 2 medium zucchini
- 4½ oz. onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 serrano chili
- 3 tomatoes
- 5½ oz. mushrooms
- ½ cube Knorr chicken bouillon
- ½ cup shredded low-fat mozzarella
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- Salt & pepper
- Cooking spray
- Use a julienne peeler to cut the zucchini into ½-inch (1 cm) slices. Sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Blot the zucchini slices with a paper towel and grill or broil them in the oven for 3 minutes at high heat.
- After broiling, place the zucchini on paper towels (you want to get as much of the liquid out as possible).
- Cut off the ends of the tomatoes and make an X insertion on top. Place in boiling water for a few minutes. Pour cold water over, and peel off the skin.
- Roughly chop onions, garlic, chili, peeled tomatoes, and mushrooms.
- Add a little cooking spray to a deep skillet and fry the garlic, onion and chili for 1 min.
- Add the tomatoes and mushrooms to the skillet and sauté the vegetables for an additional 4 minutes. Then take them off the heat and set aside.
- Cook the beef in the same skillet with the paprika until fully browned.
- Add the vegetables back into the skillet together with the chicken bouillon and remaining spices and let it simmer for 25 minutes over low heat.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 C)
- Line a small baking tray with parchment paper and use 1/3 of the zucchini to make a layer in the bottom. Put 1/3 of the meat sauce on top. Add another layer of zucchini and continue like this until you’re out of sauce and zucchini
- Spread shredded mozzarella on top and bake for 35 minutes
- Take the lasagna out of the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 4