Looking for a warm and hearty soup that’s easy to prepare and packed with nutrition? Look no further than Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup. This delicious and satisfying soup is made with split peas, smoked turkey, and an array of vegetables that are slowly cooked to perfection in a crockpot.
Split peas are a type of legume that are rich in fiber, making them an excellent addition to any diet. When combined with vegetables, split peas create a soup that is packed with complex carbohydrates and essential nutrients, including potassium. In fact, each cup of homemade split pea soup may supply over 20 percent of the recommended daily intake of potassium for adults.
In addition to its nutritional benefits, Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup is also incredibly easy to make. Simply combine the split peas, smoked turkey, and vegetables in a slow cooker and let it simmer until everything is tender and flavorful. Serve the soup with some crusty bread for a satisfying and comforting meal that will warm you up on even the coldest of days.
So, whether you’re looking for a healthy and delicious lunch or a comforting dinner, Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup is a recipe that you’ll want to keep on hand. Give it a try and enjoy the savory and satisfying flavors of this classic soup.Print
Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup
Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup – Cook split peas and smoked turkey in a slow cooker until tender and sop up your soup with crusty bread.
- Prep Time: :30
- Cook Time: 6:00
- Total Time: 6:30
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus 8 to 10 parsley stems
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 pound green split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 1 large leek, white and light green part only, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 smoked turkey leg (1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Tie the parsley stems and thyme together with kitchen string and place in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the split peas, leek, celery, carrots, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; stir to combine. Add the turkey leg and 7 cups water. Cover and cook on low until the split peas and meat are tender, 6 to 8 hours.
- Discard the herb bundle. Discard the skin and bones from the turkey leg and shred the meat. Vigorously stir the soup to break up the peas and make the soup smoother. Thin with water, if desired. Stir in the chopped parsley and about three-quarters of the turkey meat; season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Thin the yogurt with a little water, then spoon onto the soup. Top with the thawed peas and the remaining turkey.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving
- Calories 359
- Total Fat 3 grams
- Saturated Fat 1 grams
- Cholesterol 29 milligrams
- Sodium 760 milligrams
- Carbohydrates 54 grams
- Dietary Fiber 21 grams
- Protein 31 grams
Keywords: Split Pea Soup