Potato Mozzarella Croquettes are the perfect appetizer or side dish for any occasion. These delicious fried potato balls are made with a soft mashed potato and melted cheese filling, surrounded by a crispy and flavorful crust. The secret to the crust’s crispness is in the double breading process. First, the croquettes are dredged in bread crumbs, then dipped in a mixture of beaten eggs seasoned with mustard and garlic, before being dredged in bread crumbs again. This gives them a satisfying crunch with every bite.
Not only are these croquettes delicious, but they’re also versatile. They can be served as an appetizer, side dish, or even as a main course. They’re perfect for parties, potlucks, and family gatherings. They’re also a great way to use up leftovers, as you can add in any vegetables or meats you have on hand to make them even more flavorful.
The process of making these croquettes is relatively simple. First, you’ll need to boil and mash the potatoes. Then, mix in the cheese and any other ingredients you desire. Once the mixture is cooled, shape it into small balls and begin the double breading process. Finally, fry them until they’re golden brown and crispy.
You can serve these croquettes with a variety of dips and sauces. A classic option is marinara sauce, but you can also try a garlic aioli or a spicy chipotle mayo. You can also add herbs or spices to the breading mixture to give them an extra kick of flavor.
Potato Mozzarella Croquettes are sure to be a hit with everyone at your next gathering. They’re easy to make, delicious, and versatile. Give them a try and see for yourself why they’re a crowd-pleaser.
Not quite what you are looking for? Try these other great recipes:
- Shrimp Mac and Cheese
- Fried Potatoes and Onions
- Best Ever Mustard
- Easy Shrimp with Garlic Cream Sauce Over Linguine
Potato Mozzarella Croquettes
Potato Mozzarella Croquettes – These light and cheesy fried potato croquettes are breaded twice: They’re dredged in bread crumbs, dipped in beaten eggs seasoned with mustard and garlic, then dredged in bread crumbs once more.
- Prep Time: :20
- Cook Time: :30
- Total Time: :50
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- Kosher salt
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes (3/4 pound), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 1 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a saucepan, cover the potatoes with cold water. Bring to a boil, add a generous pinch of salt and simmer over moderate heat until tender, 20 minutes. Drain and let cool. Pass the potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl. Stir in the mozzarella and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into 8 oval croquettes and transfer to a plate. Cover and refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the tomatoes and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened and saucy, 8 minutes. Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl.
- Spread the bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the mustard, garlic and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Dredge the croquettes in the bread crumbs, tapping off the excess. Dip the croquettes in the beaten egg mixture to coat, then dredge again in the bread crumbs, pressing lightly to help the crumbs adhere.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil to 350°. Working in 2 batches, fry the croquettes, turning, until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve with the tomato sauce.
To make Potato Mozzarella Croquettes in an air fryer, you’ll need to follow a slightly modified version of the traditional recipe. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Start by boiling and mashing the potatoes. Mix in the cheese and any other ingredients you desire. Once the mixture is cooled, shape it into small balls.
- Dredge the croquettes in flour, shaking off any excess.
- Dip the croquettes in beaten eggs seasoned with mustard and garlic.
- Dredge the croquettes in breadcrumbs again, ensuring that they are evenly coated.
- Place the croquettes in the air fryer basket, making sure not to overcrowd it.
- Set the air fryer to 375°F and cook the croquettes for about 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Using tongs or a spatula, gently turn the croquettes halfway through the cooking time to ensure even cooking.
- Once they are done, remove them from the air fryer and serve them immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
Note: cooking time may vary based on the size of the croquettes, but you can check the internal temperature of the croquettes with a thermometer, they should reach 165°F.
You can also try to spray the croquettes with cooking oil before cooking to ensure they get crispy. You can also adjust the cooking time and temperature to your preference, just keep an eye on them to prevent burning.
Keywords: Potato Mozzarella Croquettes