5-Ingredient Chicken Tinga That’s Smoky, Spicy, and Incredibly Easy to Make
Chicken Tinga is a delicious Mexican dish originating in Puebla, Mexico. It is made with just 5 ingredients: shredded chicken, tomato sauce, chili chipotle, smoky flavor and a hint of heat. This hearty and flavorful dish is incredibly easy to make and is sure to be a crowd pleaser. With its smoky, spicy flavor, Chicken Tinga is the perfect comfort food that can be enjoyed any night of the week.
Chicken Tinga is a traditional dish from Puebla, Mexico, made of shredded chicken in a flavorful tomato and chili chipotle sauce. It has a smoky flavor and just enough heat from the chipotle peppers. The dish has its origins in the colonial period when the Spanish conquistadors brought over chickens to the region.
The original version of the dish was made with local ingredients such as dried peppers, tomatoes, garlic, and onion. These ingredients were slowly cooked together to create a rich and flavorful sauce. Over time, more modern ingredients such as canned chipotle peppers were added to the recipe, giving it its smoky, spicy flavor.
Today, Chicken Tinga is one of the most popular dishes in Mexican cuisine. It is quick and easy to make, making it a favorite among home cooks. It is also versatile, as it can be served as an appetizer or as the main course with some rice and beans on the side. No matter how you serve it, you are sure to enjoy its delicious flavor!
Making the perfect Chicken Tinga dish requires a few simple steps. The following tips can help you create the most flavorful and delicious version of this traditional Mexican dish. Serve with Arroz Con Pollo and Schmaltz-Refried Pinto Beans.Print
Chicken Tinga originating in Puebla, Mexico, it is shredded chicken in a tomato and chili chipotle sauce. It has a smoky flavor with just enough heat from the chipotle.
- Prep Time: :20
- Cook Time: :20
- Total Time: :40
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1–1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 can (14.5 oz each) Diced Tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (8 oz each) Tomato Sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado
- Spanish Rice, optional
- Schmaltz-Refried Pinto Beans, optional
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sprinkle with garlic salt and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until browned on both sides.
- Add onion; cook until tender. Add drained tomatoes, tomato sauce and peppers; stir to combine. Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken from skillet; shred with two forks. Return chicken to sauce mixture; stir to combine. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and avocado. Serve with rice and beans, if desired.
- Serve on tortillas.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Chicken Tinga