English Muffin Bread is an easy, no knead loaf with excellent texture and flavor. Perfect toasted and with butter in all the nooks and crannies.
English Muffin Bread
English Muffin Bread is an easy, no knead loaf with excellent texture and flavor. Perfect toasted and with butter in all the nooks and crannies. This yeasty, coarse-textured bread makes the best toast ever, a perfect partner to fresh summer jam or preserves. A purely mix-it-slap-in-the-pan-bake-and-eat-it loaf, it’s earned a place of honor in our kitchen Hall of Fame.
- Prep Time: 45
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 60
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/4 cups warm milk
- Butter and cornmeal for greasing and dusting the pans
- Mix the yeast, honey, and water. Set aside.
- Sift the salt, baking powder, and flour.
- Add the milk and one cup of the flour to the yeast mixture.
- Blend well.
- Add the remaining flour and beat.
- You should have a very soft, goopy dough. Yes. I said goopy.
- Spoon the dough into 2 loaf pans that have been greased and dusted with the cornmeal.
- Set aside in a warm place until the batter has doubled and is at the top of the pans, or a little above. This may take 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425F
- Dust the tops of the loaves with cornmeal and bake for 15 minutes or so. Loaf will sound hollow when tapped.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes if you want a crisper, more golden crust.
- Cool and slice.