Who doesn’t love mac and cheese? This is a much healthier version with Greek yogurt.Print
Greek Yogurt Mac & Cheese
Lightened-up, ultra creamy Greek yogurt mac and cheese…A delicious Greek Yogurt Mac & Cheese recipe. Super Yummy and economical to make. The healthy mac and cheese recipe you can feel good about serving your family.
All yogurts are excellent sources of calcium, potassium, protein, zinc, and vitamins B6 and B12. What distinguishes Greek yogurt is its thicker, creamier texture because the liquid whey is strained out. Also, it contains probiotic cultures and is lower in lactose and has twice the protein content of regular yogurts.
Read more about the Health Benefits of Greek yogurt.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 32
- Total Time: 47
- 8 ounces macaroni, penne or farfelle noodles
- 4 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat Chobani
- 6 ounces part skim cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon 2% Chobani
- Liberal dashes salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 3 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Bring noodles to a boil in water, rinse and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat 1/2 tablespoon butter. Add onions and cook on medium high heat until just translucent, about 3 – 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, heat remaining butter. Add flour and cook about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk and 1/2 cup yogurt until mixture is thick. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar, mozzarella and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and remaining 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon yogurt. Mix well. Add salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon chili powder. Mix onions, pasta and sauce together.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs, remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon chili powder. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and bread crumbs have browned.
Nutritional information per 1 cup serving:
- Calories: 289
- Fat: 12 grams
- Carbohydrates: 28 grams
- Protein: 14.5 grams
- Fiber: 4.5 grams
- Weight Watchers Points Plus Points: 7
- Serving Size: 6