How to Make Garlic Soup for Immune Boosting and Health
Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Soup recipe from James Beard. Soup made with Garlic is a delicious and nutritious dish that’s perfect for boosting the immune system and overall health. Packed with garlic, onions, herbs, and a hint of lemon juice, this comforting soup is an easy-to-make and nourishing meal that can be enjoyed any day of the week. In this blog post, you’ll learn how to make a soup that’s sure to keep you healthy and energized.
This soup has been around for centuries. As far back as Ancient Rome, cooks were using garlic to flavor soups. In medieval Europe, the use of garlic was common in both savory and sweet dishes. During this time, garlic was believed to have powerful healing properties and was used to treat various ailments.
In the 1700s, garlic was being used to make a type of French onion soup called soupe à l’ail. This dish was a combination of onions, garlic, and herbs simmered in broth or wine and served with bread. It was a favorite among French peasants and is still enjoyed today.
During World War II, the recipe became popular in the United States. People used what they had on hand such as canned tomatoes, potatoes, and beans to create a hearty and comforting soup. This recipe has evolved over the years and is now a staple in many households.
This soup is also popular in other parts of the world including Latin America, Africa, and Asia. In Mexico, a garlic soup called Sopa de Ajo is often served as a starter dish. In Africa, some cultures make a soup called Thiou that consists of okra, tomatoes, and garlic. In Asia, there are a variety of versions of garlic soup including Vietnamese Canh Toi, which is made with pork ribs and Chinese Cong You Ban Mian that includes egg noodles.
Soup made with Garlic has been around for centuries and is still enjoyed today for its unique flavor and health benefits. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a nourishing and flavorful soup that is perfect for any season!Print
James Beard’s Garlic Soup Recipe
Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Garlic Soup recipe from James Beard. Garlic soup is immune boosting and hearty with broth, garlic, onions, and herbs with a lemon juice and fresh parsley garnish.
- Prep Time: :15
- Cook Time: :25
- Total Time: :40
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 30 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6–8 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- nutmeg, as needed
- 4–5 egg yolks
- 3–4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6–8 slices country bread, toasted
- Melt the fat in a large, heavy saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic and shake over gentle heat so the garlic cooks without browning. It should just melt in the fat; letting it brown is fatal as the flavor turns bitter.
- Add the chicken stock and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grate a tiny bit of nutmeg in, if desired. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, and then force through a sieve or food mill to purée the garlic.
- Reheat the soup. Beat the egg yolks and stir in the olive oil. Stir some of the hot soup into the egg yolk mixture to temper them, and then stir it very gently into the soup and heat until warmed through. Do not under any circumstances let the soup come to a boil, or the yolks will curdle. Serve in large soup plates, ladling the soup over pieces of crisp toast, one to a plate.
- Serving Size: 6
Keywords: Garlic Soup