Lyonnaise Potatoes are an excellent side dish for any protein. This classic recipe of potatoes, onion, and garlic derives its name from the Lyon region in France. Try these potatoes with Grilled Tri Tip Steak, St. Louis-Style Steak or Savory Grilled T-Bones. It’s the perfect accompaniment for a special holiday dinner and easy enough to serve at a weekday meal too!
Lyonnaise potatoes is a French dish of sliced pan-fried potatoes and thinly sliced onions, sautéed in butter with parsley. Lyonnaise means from Lyon, or Lyon-style, after the French city of Lyon. The potatoes are often par-cooked before sautéing, else raw cooked in the pan.
Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, this potato recipe never disappoints and is absolute perfection with any main course. To make any potatoes super crispy and fluffy, it’s best to par-cook them to remove any excess starch.
EXTRA TIP: Leftover baked potatoes are great in this recipe! Using leftover precooked potatoes is a huge time saver and adds to the convenience making it perfect for a quick side to a weeknight dinner.
Potatoes as a very good source of vitamin B6 and a good source of potassium, copper, vitamin C, manganese, phosphorus, niacin, dietary fiber, and pantothenic acid. Potatoes also contain a variety of phytonutrients that have an antioxidant activity.Print
Lyonnaise Potatoes are an excellent side dish for any protein. This classic recipe of potatoes, onion, and garlic derives its name from the Lyon region in France.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- 6 Idaho Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- Fill a medium saucepan three-quarters full with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add potatoes, and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until fork-tender; drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Cut potatoes into 1/8-inch slices and place in a medium bowl; gently stir in salt and pepper then set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and saute onions until browned. Add onions to potatoes; mix well.
- Spread mixture evenly in skillet and cook 12 to 14 minutes over medium heat, until potatoes are browned, turning halfway through cooking. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: Lyonnaise Potatoes