Tuna tartare is a dish consisting of finely chopped raw tuna seasoned with whatever flavors profiles one desires. Tuna Tartare is my favorite recipe in that it is so easy to make yourself and will impress your guests! Made with tuna, avocado and some cucumbers for some crunch. Also, check out PrimeWater Seafood for tuna that is SUSTAINABLY RAISED & TRACEABLE.
Tuna tartare is a surprisingly tender, eye-catching appetizer made with fresh-from-the-sea sushi-grade tuna tossed with a flavorful blend of herbs and veggies. In addition to being quick and very tasty, you get to experience the same freshness and silky texture as its beef counterpart.
Tuna is a good source of essential nutrients, such as omega-3 fatty acids, high quality protein, selenium and Vitamin D. Most tuna species have approximately 2 grams of fat per 113 gram portion and less than 45 milligrams of cholesterol and sodium.
Tuna also provides an important dietary source of the long-chain omega-3 fatty acids needed for good heart health, brain function and normal growth and development. Albacore and bluefin tuna have the highest levels of omega-3 fatty acids followed by skipjack and yellowfin. Seafood Health FactsPrint
Diabetic friendly recipe for Tuna Tartare
- Prep Time: :30
- Total Time: :30
- Yield: 4 1x
- Method: Raw
- Diet: Diabetic
- 1 pound sushi-grade tuna
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly shaved
- 1 avocado, small dice
- 1–2 crispy seaweed sheets.
- black finishing salt, as needed, for garnish
- Place the tuna in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to firm. This will make it easier to dice.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the chives, onion, sesame oil, olive oil, salt and cayenne. Set aside.
- When the tuna is ready to be sliced, place on a cutting board. Using a slicer (or a sharp chef’s knife), make thin slices with the grain. Next, take the slices and slice lengthwise. Turn the tuna and cut into small 1/8-inch dice. Place tuna in the mixing bowl.
- Gently toss the ingredients to incorporate. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- To serve, place cucumber slices on the bottom of a serving bowl, add a generous dollop of tuna tartare, topping with diced avocado, seaweed and a dash of finishing salt .
Keywords: Tuna Tartare