Spaghetti alla Cacio e Pepe, simple pasta, cheese and pepper.Print
Spaghetti alla Cacio e Pepe
Spaghetti alla Cacio e Pepe – pasta, pecorino Romano with fresh black pepper. Cacio e Pepe is a pasta dish from Roman cuisine. “Cacio e Pepe” means “cheese and pepper”.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 8
- Total Time: 18
- 1 ½ cups finely grated pecorino Romano, plus more for dusting completed dish
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, plus more for finishing the dish
- ¾ pound tonnarelli or other long pasta like linguine or spaghetti
- Good olive oil
- Put a pot of salted water on to boil and cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Transfer pasta to a skillet with some pasta water when it’s still 1-2 minutes undercooked and gradually add the cheese (+ more water if needed). But the most important detail for absolutely delicious cacio e pepe – toast whole peppercorns in a small cast iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat, shaking occasionally, for 2-3 minutes until aromatic or until they start to dance around in the skillet. Crush in a mortal and pestle and use instead of raw pepper. Amazing!
- Serving Size: 4